- 450G PINEAPPLE, CORED AND THINLY SLICED LENGTHWAYS
- 1½ CUPS (375ML) WATER
- ½ CUP (60G) ALMOND MEAL (GROUND ALMONDS)
- 1¾ CUPS (385G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 190G UNSALTED BUTTER, CHOPPED AND SOFTENED
- 3 EGGS
- 2 CUPS (300G) PLAIN (ALL-PURPOSE) FLOUR, SIFTED
- 1½ TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER, SIFTED
- ½ TEASPOON BICARBONATE OF SODA, SIFTED
- 1 CUP (250ML) BUTTERMILK
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the pineapple, water and ½ cup (110g) sugar in a wide saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the pineapple and set aside.
- Line the sides of a lightly greased 22cm-round cake tin with non-stick baking paper. Layer the pineapple over the base and pour over half the syrup.
- Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, baking powder, bicarb, almond meal and buttermilk. Beat on low speed until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture over the pineapple and smooth the top. Bake for 1 hour. Cover loosely with aluminium foil. Bake for a further 15–20 minutes or until cooked. Set aside in the tin for 10 minutes. Serve with syrup. Serves 8–10.
Make sure to put your cake tin on a baking tray when baking to catch any drips from the pineapple.