- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium Poblano pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups organic sugar-free chicken stock
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cups Cheddar Jack cheese, shredded
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink inside. Break up the sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the peppers (red and Poblano), celery, oregano, basil, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon into the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then stir to combine. Cook while stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened (5-6 minutes).
- Add chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add spinach and cook until the spinach wilts (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately topped with cheese and, if desired, additional diced Poblano peppers.