Ever since I attempted the keto diet, I’ve been on the lookout for no carb recipes that are filling and packed full of protein. Although I’m not strictly following the keto diet because carbs always seem to find a way onto my plate, I feel so much better eating low-carb. I’ve lost a couple of pounds over the last few weeks so that’s a huge plus for me.
If you are on a low-carb or keto diet, trying to lose weight, or just want a healthy protein packed dinner, you’re going to love this cream cheese and spinach stuffed chicken. The chicken is not breaded and cooked in just a little bit of olive oil. This cooking method gives the chicken a nice and crispy crust without adding anything extra.
- 4 4 oz chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped or 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temp
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- salt to taste
- To Make filling: In a medium bowl, combine spinach, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic, and salt + pepper until fully combined.
- To Butterfly your chicken breasts: lay them flat on a sturdy surface. Place one hand on top to hold it in place and then slice 3/4 of the way through the chicken breast (be careful not to slice all the way through).
- To Stuff the Chicken: Season the outside of the chicken with chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Spoon 1/4 of cheese mixture into the middle of the cut chicken breasts and fold the chicken so the cream cheese is sealed inside. Use toothpicks to secure chicken if desired.
- To Cook: Heat a non-stick skillet on medium high and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook the chicken, covering the pan with a lid, for about 9-10 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through.